6.06.2007

9w 4d - Appointment

My appointment was good yesterday. I met with the nurse educator who mostly went over things I've reasearched and know already. General pregnancy highlights, and a semi-lecture on nutrition. I guess she was trying to make me feel a little cautious about my weight since my BMI is on the low end of "normal." And it would not be abnormal for me to gain up to 40-50 lb, although 25-30 would be what the books say is a healthy gain if your weight is normal. (And I am not underweight...)

We got each other quite confused on the due date discussion. I guess she is supposed to go by the LMP (last monthly period) only and told me to "hash it out" with my practitioner later. I explained about my ultrasound measuring younger than that, and if you use my ovulation date you would get an even younger fetus age. So basically they are using January 2 due date, and I am using the u/s age of a Jan. 5 due date. If I go with ovulation, which would probably make the most sense, it's January 8.

The baby will come out when it's ready, but getting this date as close as possible to being accurate is important because a woman gets so uncomfortable by the end, you want the practitioners to know exactly how overdue you really are (assuming you get that far, and many first pregnancies do). She relucatantly offered me an ultrasound, but I didn't want to stress over another early ultrasound, and I knew it's not normal practice for them, so I dropped it and declined. (Later ultrasounds aren't able to measure correct age as accurately.)

So, if I haven't confused you enough... :) My next appointment is the 27th, the first one meeting a CNM (certified nurse-midwife). I should be around 12 weeks and we should be able to hear the heartbeat then! How thrilling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your message! ~ Paige