12.13.2007

36w 2d – Ups & Downs

I haven’t used this topic in a while so I will use it as the outline for a pretty sizeable update.

Downs
  • Last week I tested positive for the Group B Strep test. A pretty thorough explanation of it is provided by americanpregnancy.org. An otherwise healthy mom can pass GBS to her baby during delivery. It is upsetting to me as the treatment recommended by the CDC is IV antibiotics (Penicillin), and therein lies a risk of later developing thrush, and, even worse yet, the baby being exposed to any bacteria that are antibiotic resistant and become “super bacteria.” I plan to ask more questions to Pason’s doctor whom we have selected to see us at the hospital. (We will then transfer the baby’s care to our local area.)
  • Our crib arrived with considerable shipping damage, but we’ve already received the beautiful replacement. (This is definitely also an “up!”)
  • Bad (icy) weather is possible this Saturday when we are supposed to have another baby shower.
  • I’m starting to not sleep as well. I’m definitely in month 9!
Ups
  • I've hired a labor/birth doula! We met with her the first time a couple of weeks back.
  • On the 8th I was honored to attend our second baby shower in Shenandoah. Tremendous thanks go to Andrea & Kathryn for all their hard work, beautiful cake, and other yummy food, and to all the wonderful ladies who attended and who have sent plentiful baby gifts!
  • The nursery is close to completion. We haven’t felt rushed or pressured since we plan to keep Pason in our bedroom at first. I welcome feedback on the Arm’s Reach Co-Sleeper that we plan to use!
  • Last CNM (certified nurse-midwife) appointment yesterday was excellent. Pason’s heart rate approximately 143. My BP 110/72. My weight gain good—I think around 25 lb, not sure exactly where I started. Fundal height 37 cm. Provided my birth plan to the midwife. We discussed the GBS+ result and how it may affect my labor experience. I got her talking pretty well, and J got to ask a few questions such as what defines fetal distress? We probably spent 45 minutes with her. :) I love the midwifery care model!
  • We finally decided about a week ago to stay with the plan to birth at the hospital instead of the new natural birthing center. A lot of factors went into our decision, but overall we are glad we did our research (regarding hospital and birth center births) and feel confident we have made an informed decision. Perhaps, if we have a “next time,” the birth center will be better established and we will feel more comfortable and know better what to expect.

2 comments:

  1. I love your informational blog on your pregnancy!
    What a treat to read the entries!
    Looking forward to seeing you next week & call me if anything "happens".
    kwim?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paige,

    I loved my arms reach co-sleeper...you will get great use out of it. It is very multi-functional. Enjoy having your baby sleep close to you!!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your message! ~ Paige