7.27.2007

16w 3d - Midwife Appointment Yesterday

We had a great appointment yesterday! Met a second midwife, Barbara, who was also great. Baby's heartbeat was 145 bpm. Heard that glorious sound again via the doppler machine. I read that it's possible to hear it through a stethescope at 20 weeks. I can't wait to try! My weight gain is right on (about 5-6 lb) and my BP was 112/76. So far, so good!

Then came our questions. I'll try to recap briefly:
  • The hospital we chose has a free, volunteer, on-call labor doula service. I'm a little wary just because their views could be swayed to "typical" hospital practices. But the extra free support would be hard to pass up. I think I'll sign up for that!
  • According to Barbara, all the midwives are familiar with hypnobirthing. She noted in my chart that I plan to use it and will take Kate's class to learn the techniques. Barbara had 5 natural childbirths, so that helps too to know she knows the approach I'm coming from.
  • A lactation consultant will stop by, and I shouldn't need to request to see her.
  • Due to our conversation, I feel better about having the RhoGAM shot at 28 weeks (I'm O-, Jason is A+). I'm still undecided but fairly certain I will accept this in just 3 months!
  • Her opinion is that a flu shot is safe and necessary. I'm still confused on the use of the thermisol in the vaccines, though, and it's potential side affects. Any advice here is welcome!
  • I told her about my headaches. She said Advil is OK from weeks 13 to 28! I will try to use just 200 mg as a last resort only.
Our next back-to-back appointments are 8/24 for our 20-week ultrasound and a checkup/ultrasound review with another midwife.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your message! ~ Paige