4.23.2007

CD 27 - 7 DPO (7d past ovulation) - Acpuncture #1

My acu session went really well! The practitioner is about 30 minutes from my job. She took my medical history and asked me about all sorts of bodily functions and symptoms, even down to what my stool looks like. She also looked at my tongue to determine if I am “warm” or “cool.” I forgot to ask her what she saw, but I gathered from all her questions and from the reading I’ve done that I have a “cooler constitution” rather than a warmer one. She said my “qi” (pro. “chi”) or energy is a little low, and basically needs a slight boost to come back into balance where my body needs it. She also checked my pulse on each wrist, and asked about my menstrual history and what my cycles are like. I provided her copies of my last four charts.

She likes to see fertility clients about every two weeks, around my period and when I should “textbook” ovulate (day 14 or so). I would be her fifth fertility client. She saw one through the second trimester, and I believe she said she now has one active client who got pregnant while going to her. Another one she is working with to achieve pregnancy, and another wasn’t consistent with her appointments and stopped coming, and she assumes did not get pregnant. She has been practicing for 3 years, so I feel those odds sound good!

So, the question and answer session went on for almost an hour. Then to the needles. She said it would not hurt more than like a bee sting. Well that got me slightly nervous, because bees can really hurt! I tried to remain calm though, and got on the bed. The needles were shorter than I imagined. I guess I pictured Charlotte from Sex and the City with those really long ones sticking out of her when she was trying to get pregnant. (Note to self: look up that episode watch it at home this week for further inspiration.) The needles didn’t hurt too badly—more like a tiny prick, and then it went away. She asked if I was cold, and I told her my feet definitely were. She brought over a warming lamp and positioned it right over my feet. It was awesome! It took me a few minutes to relax, and then I enjoyed it. I think she left me in there about ten minutes and then took my pulse again, and took out the needles. She asked me to sit up and see if I felt dizzy. I told her that I didn’t, and went back over to sit in the chair. We went over a couple of other things, and she asked if I felt OK to drive. (?) I said I thought so, but that I did feel more relaxed. Initially I wasn’t sure if that was from lying there for ten minutes or if the acupuncture had anything to do with it. Well then I drove back to work and realized I was a little more relaxed that I still should have been. Back at the office, about 40 minutes later, I answered the phone and actually got tongue tied. This is not unusual! But it’s hard to explain. I definitely felt different. Still relaxed… and slightly loopy! Hehehe. Overall, it was a good experience though. I think I will keep going.

I asked her if she would recommend herbs for me, and she said not for right now. She was worried I might not be able to digest them yet, given my other symptoms I indicated to her.

Oh, and the other major thing that she said was that she recommends I stop “trying” for a couple of months until my body gets into balance. I mentioned how this past cycle we were able to have a lot more “fun” than in past cycles, and she affirmed that that was a good sign that I wasn’t putting quite as much stress on myself as in the past. I told her I wasn’t comfortable not “trying” at all, because if I do the HSG test in a couple of weeks, it is supposed to help the pregnancy odds within 3 months of the test. So, we agreed that we would not try as “hard,” maybe more like every other day instead of every day.

I searched for someone closer but the only one I see in the national certified directory who is closer to home is a male. I think I will stick with the female practitioner, at least for now. Maybe I will see if he will respond to some email questions.

3 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you are on a special diet and/or supplement regimen because your temps look nice in all your charts.

    thanks

    here's mine http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1922d6

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just multi-vitamin, folic acid, B6, and evening primrose oil CD 1 thru expected O day.

    I have been very blessed with mostly regular cycles...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just rereading your first acupuncture post because I just started acupuncture on Friday!! My practitioner said I have a kidney yin deficiency and advised me to wait 3 months before trying as well. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that is (was) unwilling to wait any longer and I'm glad to know that *not* taking her advise has not had any bearing on this pregnancy! You're a ray of hope for me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your message! ~ Paige