4.16.2007

Doctors! My First RE Appointment

Doctors... well they do their job! I shouldn't expect a lot of western medicine physicians to be catering to my emotions. But this is still a service to me and in that aspect I expect more!

I had my first RE appointment today. I wasn't overly impressed with Dr. Bateman. He didn't give me a lot of opportunity to ask questions, though I got a few in. He was just very cut and dry, and to the point (which is a positive thing). He took my medical history and some very basic information about the miscarriage--basically only that it lasted six weeks and that I had a D&C, and my age when I got pregnant.

He asked if I use OPKs or any other ovulation predictors (no, but I’m looking for a Clear Blue Easy Fertility Monitor to borrow or for good price!). I told him I'm using the microscope and he asked if I'm putting my cervical mucus on it. I said no, my saliva. I don't think he knew you could use that too! Uuuuugh. Not sure though.

Then he did a physical, and an ultrasound. With both, he checked for signs of endometriosis (no history in my family of it) and saw none. He said my uterine lining looked good, and that he wasn't sure if I've ovulated or not. He couldn't see if any follicles had released yet. He also checked the cul-de-sac for some type of fluid that's present after ovulation. He saw some, but it wasn't conclusive enough to confirm ovulation. Oh and he also said my cervix appeared normal. I told him I was trying to get better at checking it for a fertility sign and he acted like he didn't know what I meant! Ugh. I said, uh, high and soft when I'm fertile?? Geez come on! Maybe he knew what I was talking about but it didn’t seem like it!He made an order for a lab test to check my thyroid and prolactin levels. I had that drawn right after the appointment. Forgot to ask when the results will be in.

What next?

If I’m not pregnant, I’ll do an HSG test in a couple of weeks (must be in a specific period of my cycle) to check if my fallopian tubes are clear (click for details here). Of course, he also wants to check DH's swimmers, and he said we could do that the same day. Have to sign off for now but overall I'm glad something is moving along and progressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your message! ~ Paige