4.15.2007

Stupid Things People Say... A Funny Comparison

We haven't been labeled "infertile" yet, but I thought this was a good learning tool if you ever meet someone who has.

Would people say this to you if you were paraplegic instead of infertile?
    1. As soon as you buy a wheelchair, I bet you'll be able to walk again.
    2. You can't use your legs? Boy, I wish I was paralyzed. I get so tired of walking, and if I were paralyzed I wouldn't have to walk anywhere!
    3. My cousin was paralyzed but she started shaving her legs in the other direction and she could walk again. You should try that.
    4. I guess God just didn't mean for you to be able to walk.
    5. Oh, I know exactly how you feel, because I have an ingrown toenail.
    6. Sorry, we don't cover treatment for paraplegia, because it's not a life-threatening illness.
    7. Oh, I have just the opposite problem. I have to walk everywhere I go!
    8. You're just trying too hard. Relax and you'll be able to walk.
    9. You're so lucky... think of the money you save on shoes.
    10. I don't know why you're being so selfish. You should at least be happy that *I* can walk.
    11. I hope you don't try those anti-paralyzation drugs. They sometimes make people run too fast and they get hurt.
    12. You're being selfish, not coming on the hike with us, and looking at all of my track & field trophies.

And I bet a parapalegic going to a bookstore doesn't find books about paralysis stacked next to all the books on running...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your message! ~ Paige